“Nobody in my house liked blueberry pie before I tried this recipe. Now I find myself wanting to bake one all the time!” – Bobbie Jo
|6 cups thawed Southwestern Produce Blueberries|
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of nutmeg
1/3 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1 double-crust pie dough (homemade or store bought)
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon sugar, for sprinkling on top of the pie
1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon water, fork beaten
|1. Preheat the oven to 425°F|
2. Put the blueberries, sugar, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice, orange zest, flour, and quick-cooking tapioca in a big bowl, and mix lightly until the fruit is coated.
3. Roll out the bottom dough and place it in your pie pan.
4. Add the blueberry filling and dot it with little pieces of butter.
5. Roll out remaining dough, lay it over the fruit, trim, crimp, and cut 5 to 6 vents on top, or cut strips and weave a lattice top.
6. Brush the crust with some egg white wash.
7. Bake for 15 minutes at 425°F. Reduce the heat to 350°F and bake for 35 to 40 minutes more. When there are 10 to 15 minutes of bake time left, open the oven, pull the pie out, and quickly and evenly sprinkle the top of the pie with sugar. Close the oven and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes. Look for the steady bubbling of the fruit filling through the vents to make sure the filling is fully cooked.
8. Cool the pie before serving so the fruit filling can set up.